Animals might not be able to speak for themselves or advocate their own rights, but there are several organisations in Singapore that advocate animal rights and lend them a voice. If you’re looking for a cause to support, why not volunteer at one of these places? Here’s a list of Animal charities and animal causes in Singapore, that you can support and volunteer with.
These animal organisations take up animal causes ranging from protection and welfare to fostering and adoption. Most of these animal welfare organisations are volunteer-run, which means they need all the help they can get. So sign up with one of them and help an animal today. Below is a list of 9 Animal Causes in Singapore, to Support or Volunteer For, alongwith ways in which you can help.
Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (ACRES) has taken it upon itself to stand against and fight animal exploitation in the form of the illegal trade of wild animals and their body parts; undertake wildlife rescue and rehabilitation; raise awareness about animal abuse and exploitation; promote community involvement; and promote cruelty free living.
How You Can Help ACRES
- Raise Funds
- Corporate Partnerships
- Volunteer (for rehabilitation or daily care of animals)
- Shop for your pets as all proceeds from sales go towards their animal protection programme
You can find out more about ACRES and how you can help, on their website here.
ACRES: ACRES Wildlife Rescue Centre (AWRC), 91 Jalan Lekar, Singapore 698917. P: +65 6892 9821
2. Action for Singapore Dogs
Established in December 2000, Action for Singapore Dogs (ASD) is as a non-profit organization with the mission to improve the welfare of stray and abandoned dogs in Singapore. They undertake rescuing, fostering and re-homing of stray and abandoned dogs; advocate sterilisation and responsibilities as a pet owner.
How You Can Help ASD
• Fostering – Caring for a dog and keeping him in your home for at least a month
• Volunteer to work at the adoption and rescue centre
• Logistical help in transportation of dogs
• Fund raising
• Volunter as a publicist or help with website maintenance
• Sterilisation – donations and process
• Donations and sponsorships
• Adopt a dog
Action for Singapore Dogs: http://asdsingapore.com/wp/. P: +65 6100 2737
3. Animal Lovers League
A registered no-kill shelter, that seeks to control stray population through sterilisation and not by killing, Animal Lovers League (ALL) is as good an animal cause to support as any. ALL advocates adoption over buying, and presently cares for over 700 cats and dogs, including vagrant strays, abandoned, traumatised, abused and rescued animals.
How You Can Help ALL
- Monetary contributions & monthly pledges
- Contribute towards healthcare packages
- Feed a fur baby at S$60/month
- Volunteer (cleaning of shelter grounds, showering and walking the dogs etc)
Find out more here about Animal Lovers League and their work here.
Animal Lovers League: 61 Pasir Ris Farmway 3, Singapore 518232. P:+65 9154 6422
4. Causes For Animals (Singapore)
Causes for Animals (Singapore), CAS, is an animal welfare charity that promotes best practice, ethical, sustainable and compassionate treatment for animals. It aims to save the lives of homeless and unwanted companion animals. It is involved in rescue and adoption, educating people regarding animal rights, stray management and community care projects.
How You Can Help CAS
- Volunteer as a part of team publicity, team events, team adoption centre volunteers, corporate/school team volunteers and project-based volunteer work
- Sponsor a kennel
- Help with feeding
- Sponsor to save a life
- Help with medical expenses
Find out more about CAS and how you can support them, by clicking here.
Causes for Animals (Singapore ) Limited: Email – firstname.lastname@example.org. P: 9793 7162 / 9697 3491
5. Cat Welfare Society
Cat Welfare Society has a range of community programmes that encourage cat ownership, with the focus on sterilisation and not annihilation. The society functions as a network of dedicated volunteers, caregivers and fosterers who actively sterilise, rehome and rehabilitate thousands of cats in Singapore every year. Among other things they do, they also support programmes like Love Cats Cat Ownership Pilot, Community Outreach to help Disadvantaged Families with Cats, Stray Cat Sterilisation Programme, Community Mediation and Responsible Feeding Programme.
How You Can Help Cat Welfare Society
- Membership pledges starting from S$10
- Shop for cat products, with affiliates (more info here)
- Volunteer to be caregivers, or help with administrative or management roles
For more information, visit their website.
Cat Welfare: Orchard Road P.O. Box 65, Singapore 912303. http://www.catwelfare.org/contact-us
6. House Rabbit Society of Singapore
If you’re looking to support an animal charity in Singapore, House Rabbit Society of Singapore (HRSS) is an all-volunteer, non-profit organisation dedicated to rabbit welfare and awareness, HRSS aims at reducing rabbit numbers and improving their lives in Singapore.v
How You Can Help HRSS
• Foster an abandoned rabbit
• Adopt a rabbit
• Volunteer to give talks in schools, as a writer, in public relations and in creative positions
• As friends of HRSS, for an annual fee you are entitled to discounts on Rabbit food and accessories
• Make a donation
• Purchase exclusive HRSS merchandise
For more information, visit their website.
HRSS: Toa Payoh Central Post Office PO Box 108, 913104 Singapore.
Oasis Second Chance Animal Shelter (OSCAS) is another great animal cause to support. The non-profit charity shelters and saves dogs from being culled. With more than 110 strays currently under their care, it also sells pet care products, the proceeds from which go to help the strays.
How You Can Help OSCAS
- Adopt a dog
- Make a monetary donation
- Foster a dog
- Sponsor a dog at S$ 50, S$ 100 or S$150
- Volunteer towards animal welfare, education and outreach, events and Fundraising, PR and media, or rehoming and sponsorship
More information here.
OSCAS: Ericsson Pet Farm, 18 Pasir Ris Farmway 2. Singapore 519316.
Save our Street Dogs (SOSD) tackles the problem of animal culling. SOSD is a volunteer-run organisation dedicated to the welfare of Singapore’s many street dogs. The group of animal lovers vehemently opposes the culling of strays. They run a dog shelter and volunteers feed and rescue strays. The society aims to advocate and educate, rescue and rehome, and sterilise animals to make the lives of strays better. It gives them a second chance in life.
How You Can Help SOSD
- Adopt a dog
- Foster a dog
- Sponsor a dog
- Make a cash donation and help towards providing food and medical care for the dogs
- You can also donate in kind – supplies like puppy milk, dog food, health supplements, dog leashes etc. Check out SOSD’s Wishlist.
For more information and other ways to volunteer, check their website. Note: They have an Adoption Drive coming up at Galaxis on 22nd Oct 2017.
SOSD: http://sosd.org.sg/contact-us/. P: +65 97358677
A registered animal welfare charity, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) is a non-government agency that protects animals. SPCA gets around 200 pets and stray animals monthly. The society offers many services like investigations into animal cruelty; round the clock emergency animal rescue; providing shelter for stray, abandoned and unwanted pets; veterinary care and spay/neuter surgeries for community animals; education programmes; group visits to SPCA; adoption; foster care; and advocacy for animals.
How You Can Help SPCA
- Adopt an animal
- Individual or coprporate fund raising
- Sponsor a kennel, cattery or nursery
- Volunteer to help at an animal shelter or to walk dogs (or in several other ways)
Yopu can also help in other ways or become an SPCA member. Find out more here.
SPCA: 50 Sungei Tengah Road, Singapore 699012. P: +65 6287 5355 ext. 24
Give the Gift of Food: Where to Donate Surplus Food in Singapore
14 Places to Donate Clothes, Books & Shoes in Singapore
Project Takeaway: Save Leftover Food
Save the Planet: Change your Diet to Fight Climate Change