13apr10:30 AM1:00 PMMasterClass with MasterChef Sowmiya: Indian Vegetarian/Vegan Curries & FlatBreads Series (Class 2, Spinach Curry Dishes with Missi Roti)10:30 AM - 1:00 PM The Providore Cooking Studio Event Organized By: EatRoamLive
ABOUT THE CLASS Indian Vegetarian/Vegan Curries and Flatbreads Series
ABOUT THE CLASS
Indian Vegetarian/Vegan Curries and Flatbreads Series ($160 inclusive of Hands-on Cooking + Lunch):
This will be the first of a 3-part series where participants will learn to cook a base curry from scratch, without using a “curry powder”, and then adapt it into 2 different dishes. You will also acquire skills in making speciality Indian flatbreads! After the 3 weeks, you will be able to cook combinations of Indian meals to include different Indian curries and handmade Indian speciality flatbreads. The class does not require prior cooking skills and you can sign up for 1 class or all 3. Check out Class 1 (Vegan Butter Masala Curries with Lachha Prantha) and Class 3 (Coconut Curries with Khameeri Roti).
ABOUT THE CHEF
MasterChef Singapore Finalist Sowmiya Venkatesan is passionate about contributing to eating fresh, eating right and eating better. She loves cooking, creating recipes that excite the palate and feeding people. Sowmiya adds a modern, healthier twist to classic dishes that have taken Indian food to all corners of the world.
Sowmiya loves to play with flavours, texture combinations and spices, and she pairs new ingredients with traditional dishes. This gives her food unique taste profiles and depth of character. Sowmiya herself is a vegetarian, so executing veg*n plates is not an afterthought for her.
Cauliflower Spinach Curry; “Missi” Roti (made with chickpea flour); Soy-free Chickpea-Tofu Spinach Curry (demo)
– A healthy Spinach based curry that is smooth and creamy, and simply begs to be eaten. Popularly known as “Palak Paneer” (when you prepare it with Indian Cottage Cheese), that is a favourite world over. This vegan, non-paneer version uses Cauliflower to provide bite and nutrition. Can be served as a soup on its own, this fast to put together recipe helps retain the flavour and nutrition of the dish. Participants will learn to adapt the base curry into 2 dishes:
- Cauliflower Spinach Curry
- Soy-free Chickpea-Tofu Spinach Curry – An adaptation of the Spinach curry with chickpea-tofu that originates from Burma
– We’ll pair these with Missi Roti, a popular unleavened flatbread that uses chickpea flour. This high in protein flatbread, native to North of India is slowly cooked till a crispy exterior is attained. Dunked into any curry this “roti” makes for much healthier alternative to Naans or oily pratas!
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Fresh ingredients & fully-equipped kitchen
- Hands-on cooking (in pairs/groups), participants will cook 2 of the 3 dishes from scratch
- Printed Recipes provided
- 10% off store-wide for shopping at The Providore on the day
- Aprons & Water provided
- Post-workshop mingling and eating
REGISTRATION & PAYMENT
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING
(Saturday) 10:30 AM - 1:00 PM
The Providore Cooking Studio
6A Shenton Way, OUE Downtown Gallery